5.11.08

Yes We Can

Well, I was so excited last night, I think I gave myself ulcers. Or something. Seriously, I couldn't sleep last night, so Chase and I played Ping-Pong until 2am, at which time I got intense stomach pain and had difficulty breathing.
Odd.
However, my excitement has evolved into immense appreciation and happiness, for I have heard and seen things that America has been missing for a long, long time.
Everywhere I've read this morning describes throngs of people who have been united and have a genuine pride, shall we say, for being American all because of this election. When was the last time we became united for something other than a crisis?
As I was listening to both McCain and Obama as they spoke last night, I was also impressed by how good both candidates were. McCain's concession speech was good, and he lost very humbly (although I think even he was disappointed in his supporters). Obama's speech will be watched and read in history classes in years to come for many, many reasons. If you didn't watch it, watch it now, or read it here--it's amazing.

Barack Obama will be our next president, and I encourage anyone who doesn't support him now, to listen to his offer:
And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too.

Some presidents take over power while we are living high and having a good time. Others, like Obama, must take control while we are in an epic nose-dive. If at any time we need to be united and supportive, it's now. Pray for him. Do what you can to help America re-establish itself as a beacon in this world. Give him a chance, if you haven't already--I think you'll find you might even like him.

3 comments:

  1. Tyler, I hope that it doesn't bother you that you are sometimes my source for amazing articles and other things to pass on. I yet again, used your links for the speech and I hope you don't mind. I really appreciate your wealth of knowledge and resources :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, not at all!! The purpose of my blog is to point people in the direction of things I've seen on the web that I find interesting or important. (It's a WEBlog, after all!)
    If you find that what I find is important is something you find is important, you should link it up (although a courtesy link pointing to my blog at the end of your own would be nice too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fetch yeah we can. And now hopefully Sarah Palin will end in ignominy and never leave Alaska again . . . Also Pat Bagley rocks.

    ReplyDelete